Thursday, April 7, 2011

Rebukes and Confrontations and Words in General

I am amazed at what we are capable of saying to one another - loved ones and friends alike - that tears each other down and foments resentment, bitterness and confrontation.  Proverbs 12:18 says "Reckless words pierce like a sword but the tongue of the wise brings healing".

The bad things in life seem to stick in our memory...sometimes a whole lifetime...longer than do the good things.

Like gossip: "The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to the inmost parts" Prov. 26:22. We remember - and believe - the bad things we hear about others, even if we have no proof ourselves.  

I feel badly when I gossip, and I should.  It is SO destructive.  And yet I still do it and am ashamed.  Words cannot be unsaid and their power lasts as long as the hearers remember.

I feel badly when I fail to support a friend who is being unjustly accused or is the subject of gossip.  Words unspoken can be as detrimental as those spoken rashly.  Silence implies agreement.

I must strive to be like a deep well where ill-spoken words fall and are diluted and forgotten.  I must strive to be like a gushing spring where well-spoken words refresh and encourage and support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...